6.17.2005

sequined hobo bags, Jerome, the Vulgate and Paris Hilton

A few weeks ago the Pastor received an email asking him to sign a petition against the scandalous Paris Hilton advertisement for Hardees/Carl's Jr. Since we don't have cable and keep our t.v. unplugged and put away (we occassionally pull it out to watch a movie), it is very doubtful we ever would have seen or known about the ad, except for this very nice Christian person who made it a point that we know about it. So, upon receiving this email, the Pastor, who doesn't watch t.v., doesn't like petitions, hates religious fundamentalism, but likes hamburgers and pretty blonde girls (uhhh,me!) reviews the petition, then goes to find the ad on the internet.

He tells me later that not only is the ad good, but so was the burger! The ad was apparently so tantalizing that the Pastor went out and had one of the burgers almost immediately! Oh, the power of advertising.

I might be concerned about the Pastor's fascination with Paris's ad, but I know that Paris has a small dog and we all know how the Pastor feels about cute, small animals, so not to worry.

Perhaps people who send those kinds of petitions should opt out of the cable television world? The Pastor says they should move out of the whore of Babylon, scripture reference Revelation 18-19?, and then they wouldn't be offended by what the whore is! Whatever that means. Is someone saying that Paris Hilton is a whore? I like Paris Hilton (and her small dog) and I'm all confused. I know I DON'T like hamburgers.

OK, so fast forward to today. The Pastor had attempted to buy me one of those trendy hobo, sequined-covered bags in PINK! He actually ordered it in early May so I would have it for my trip to England. Sadly, it never arrived. The Pastor received word today that, due to demand, the purse is over-sold, out-of-stock and I won't receive it. The Pastor broke the bad news to me, which I didn't take too well. So, what's a girl to do? Retail therapy, of course. So I got on-line at the shopintuition.com site to see what else the Pastor could buy me. No purses, but they have the same swimsuit that Paris wears in the Carl's Jr. commercial. So I emailed the link/picture to the Pastor to see if he wanted to buy me that. Te he he. Uhhh, not likely since it is over $200 and doesn't ship immediately, and apparently when it comes to the Paris Hilton ad, the Pastor needs instant burger gratification.

Later, the Pastor and I are instant messaging each other. That particular method of communication can be challenging, because you are not really "listening" to the other person. So I find that two people can actually be carrying on two completely different conversations.

The Pastor was talking about Jerome, this guy, who sat in caves and translated the Bible to create the Vulgate. This was the first translation of the Bible from Hebrew and Greek to another language -in Latin - and it was effectively THE Bible used by ALL Christians for a bunch of years until the Reformation. Phew!

And what was I talking about? Paris Hilton! Still! Oh well.

And by the way, I got the purse in silver.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Robyn,

I have a new rendition of the "Paris" commercial to enjoy. If you can send me your email or his (or both), I'll send it on! I trust you will find it entertaining!

bmichelson@raytheon.com