6.05.2005

delightful day, dubious discoveries, double-decker busses, Mrs. Doubtfire and doubling derriaire

The Pastor just said I was psychopathic. I am afraid to go to sleep, because I am afraid that I won't be able to sleep. It's 12:15 a.m. here, and 6:15 p.m. at home.

Last night, we essentially went to bed at 7:00 p.m. I awoke at 9 a.m. I was so excited that I had slept through the night. I got up to take a shower. The Pastor said what are you doing. I said taking a shower. He said honey it is only 9:00 p.m.! We've only been asleep for 2 hours! So that just made me mad because I was wide awake and I had thought I had slept for a really long time. So I took some Tylenol p.m. - glory hallelujah for the Tylenol p.m. - and fell asleep and I guess the stuff worked because we slept so late!

Oh, by the way, I am in Manchester, England.
1. There was a screaming be be on the plane.
2. I slept on the plane, in spite of screaming be be, remember I had the Dramamine! I slept but it was not comfortable as I was in a space this big ( ).
3. The Pastor is so sweet. I was starved on the plane and wishing I had dinner. Thinking about what would be in the dinner that I could actually eat. About that time, a flight attendant swooped in with a tray and said "you requested a vegetarian meal, right?" It was the best airline food I had ever eaten - salad, fruit, a vegan cookie, a wheat roll and the main dish was a curry Indian dish. So he had requested a veggie meal when he booked my ticket. Total sweetheart.

As soon as I got off the plane yesterday, the Pastor made me walk around the city for about a bazillion hours. Then we went to the library for him to work on his doctoral dissertation and, shocker, I conked out.

more glorious things placed in a list format, for your reading enjoyment:
1. There is a restaurant here called Rice! Yes, one of my favorite things in the whole wide world. Basmati rice! All rice dishes, and bonus - they have coffee drinks too!
2. I thought I wouldn't eat much here, but there are bakeries. I found a place that has a chocolate croissant (how BRIDGET JONES is that?) and a cup of coffee for 2 pounds! Which is really like $4 American dollars, or 10 pounds on my bottom. I've managed to avoid the bake shops for 2 days. I tried to go to one this morning, but it was closed. : ( I did go to an Indian sweet shop tonight. Got a piece of candy and two tiny little pastry bites - much like a greek pastry, baklava-ish. It was pretty cheap, just over a pound.
3. I now know where Cyndi Lauper buys here clothing. Apparently, there is no such thing as too many layers and nothing has to match.
4. The food is so expensive here. We are trying to just eat one meal a day. Our lunch yesterday cost 14 pounds which is about $28 American dollars, and we just had sandwiches and fries. Today we ate Indian food which was 20 pounds or over $40 American dollars. The Pastor says every pound we spend on food is double that in American dollars, but I'm more concerned about every pound of food piling on my tushy.

While walking around yesterday, I had on a very long peasant skirt, to my ankles. I got my first British compliment by a little old lady, imagine Robin Williams in his character role as Mrs. Doubtfire saying "I love your skirt, your skirt is gorgeous". Not easy to navigate down the steps in a double-decker bus. The Pastor says I need to work on my "getting off the bus skills". The Pastor does not understand how hard it is to walk down curvy stairs in an ankle-length skirt 1. without advance warning and 2. quickly. There was this one time that he told me to "get off now" and I was trying to lift up my skirt and negotiate the stairs and but I was not quick enough and the driver took off , the bus lurched and I am pretty sure I showed everyone on the lower bus deck my pretty panties.

Today we went to Stockport. I'm think we may have broken some English laws when we scaled a concrete wall, navigated through some barbed wire and jumped a fence to visit a closed off church and cemetery. It was old - built in the early 1800's, but not nearly as old as the cathedral we visited yesterday which was built in the 1400's. There are all sorts of bodies buried at the churches, and the tombstones are all giant and have lots of inscriptions on them. Anyway, when we scaled the fence, etc. all that was left of this church was the front facade. Not sure if it was one of the buildings heavily damaged by air raids or what. It was funny though because even though the church was gone and just the front of the building remained, there was a giant padlock on the front door. The Pastor said there was probably still access to the steeple, that's why.

Here is what the Pastor is reading right now, as I click away on the keyboard:
"blah blah blah...Girard jests here about Hobbes' Englishness, and imagines the 'war of all against all' concluding with people sitting down and sorting their differences over a nice cup of tea. He accepts Hobbes' scenario of a universal strife but cannot go along with Hobbes' description of how this crisis comes to be resolved blah blah blah."

And for some reason, that statement is funny. He was chuckling aloud at this. This is the pillow-talk of a bible scholar. I'm going to bed.

No comments: