9.17.2005

zero errors

Me, being un-kind and un-gracious, part #7947
We live in a pretty diverse neighborhood. The daughters had some of their neighbor friends over the other night.

I felt sorta bad for the neighborhood kids, cuz let's just say they seem to live in a home environment much different than our's. They said their momma stays at home all day but gets checks in the mail. Also, their momma told them as long as they came home by 9 p.m. it was fine. I made chicken and rice. I don't like chicken. I don't eat chicken. But I can at least 1. prepare it and 2. keep my mouth shut about the nasty chicken during dinner. The neighbor boy said he didn't like rice and wasn't going to eat. Fine. Whatever. The neighbor girl sat down to
eat with us, tried a bite and decided she didn't like it and proceeded not to touch her food the rest of the meal.

After dinner, I told the Pastor I hoped the neighbor kids had enjoyed their dinner invitation because it would be THEIR LAST!!! Dun-ta-DUNNNNN!

The Pastor said I was not being very nice and it wasn't their fault, they don't know any better and their parent's are to blame. OK, true story, but I already have enough kids complaining at dinner.

I felt bad later. I knew I had disappointed the Pastor with my comments and I thought how am I going to go on a mission trip with this kind of attitude??? I guess the difference is that on a mission trip if someone verbally expresses an attitude of un-gratefulness at least I won't
understand the language they are speaking.

I went to visit a medical transcription/court reporting college this week as I am trying to pretend as though I am working on some sort of plan for what I want to do with the rest of my life (besides changing the color of my nail polish and cooking chicken unsuitable for small
children). And I like to type and find the field of medical transcription intriguing. The college made me take a typing test before they would talk to me. The moral of the story is not that maybe this was a teeny tiny step on the path of my future, but that I scored 86 words per minute, zero errors. That was after declining the opportunity to warm up first. That was 86 wpm, zero errors.

I also started a bible study this week, the Bible Study Fellowship (BSF). My first encounter at the bible study (that is, not including the nice friend who invited me and took me) was the lady chasing me down, telling me I could not take my iced coffee into the sanctuary. Also I was running a bit late and they apparently frown on that too. Oops! Anywho, back to the lady who about tackled me over my Starbucks beverage... Granted there were probably not a whole lotta unchurched ladies at the BSF, but for all she knew that very well could have been the very first experience I had ever had with church. But what right do I have to say anything when I am hateful about the impoverished youth who come to my own house?

Did I mention zero errors???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I've been checking out medical transcription too. I'm looking into online courses since I still have two at home and can't afford childcare. Let me know if you hear of any reputable online courses. There are tons and I don't know which to choose.

Anonymous said...

From all I've heard from BSF (even from people who like it) is that it is pretty wack and maybe the scary coffee chasing lady was a sign from God to run way fast :-)