8.12.2005

he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear

I temped today! No, I wasn't TEMPTED, I TEMPED.

Had I mentioned I signed up with a temp agency? When I was big-shot
manager lady, a temp agency provided me with staff. So after I returned
from my summer travels, I called my contact at the temp agency and told
her I would be interested in a temp job now and then after I got the
kiddos in school.

Well, school hasn't started but the temp agency kept calling, so I
agreed to do a job today. The office only wanted someone to answer the
phone for an hour during a meeting, but the temp agency said they only
send temps out for four hour minimums.

In the end, I answered the phone for an hour (7 calls, whew!). Then the
boss guy said he had a project he'd like for me to work on but he wasn't
ready for me yet. He directed me to the break room. I sat there for 45
minutes, waited and read my library book (they let you read books for
free!) before he came in and told me the project was not going to happen
today and sent me home. Score... I still got paid for four hours!!!

Later in the day, the company called the temp agency and acted like it
was just the GREATEST THING EVER that I could answer the phone AND
record messages by hand AND look up stuff on the computer, so they asked
me to come back tomorrow and make some sort of spreadsheet.

The temp job paid $9 an hour, and I stopped and bought my cup of coffee
on the way and I did spend more time getting dressed up to play office
than I actually spent working. And tomorrow I get to make a
spreadsheet!!! This isn't work, it's fun!

The Pastor made fun of me yesterday. My days have been kind of lost
since I quit full-time work and I have become discombobulated.
Yesterday, I was bragging that I'd had a productive day because I'd made
a couple of phone calls and set up a couple of appointments. The Pastor
commended me on all I had been able to accomplish by 5:00 p.m.

date night with the Pastor
Tonight the Pastor and I contemplated going to see this Jewish-Palestine
film at the Art Museum. In the end, we decided to pass on the movie and
its $7 tickets. We had gone to the gym and walked and we were tired.
Plus I had put in like an hour at the office. But we were still going
to go to our favorite mexican restaurant. We went to run some errands
and on the way to eat decided we were too tired for the sit-down
restaurant thing tonight and we'd just grab some fast-food mexican. We
headed home and encountered a man at a stop-light holding up a sign that
said he was hungry. The Pastor asked him if he'd had any food today and
he said no. The Pastor asked him what he wanted and he said just a loaf
of bread and some bologna. The Pastor and I went to a grocery store and
bought some groceries and took them back to the guy. He was so thankful
and happy. The guy walked away from the corner he was standing on and
went to eat.

The money we spent on our fast-food dinner and groceries was still less
than what dinner at our favorite mexican restaurant would have cost.

Ok, awkward. Now it seems like there is not going to be an upbeat way
to end this.

Oh, and the library has magazines you can read for free too!

No comments: