3.02.2006

just nod if you can hear me

Helloooooo! Is anyone out there? Does anybody read this thing?

Greetings from England. I am presently in Manchester, sipping on English Elderflower Presse which is basically a fancy way of saying Sprite with a touch of rose flavor in it. It is 11:15 p.m. England time, and 5:15 p.m. back home time. The Pastor is asleep, and even though I took a sleeping pill I remain awake.

I was just in bed composing this blog post and wondering how on earth the Pastor can adjust to the time difference. Then I realized he hasn't adjusted, he's just finally found the right time zone for his weird self. Plus the man can sleep anywhere. It's not normally hard for me to fall asleep, but sleeping on an airplane is much different. But on the flight over, that man pulled his stocking cap over his eyes and slept practically the whole time, sitting up. Me, that's precisely when my Restless Leg Syndrome decided to kick in.

I know I haven't blogged much lately, but hey - there is only so much creative energy to go around! Here are some random tid-bits for you:

1. I am enjoying my co-ed status. However, since I last went to college I seem to have developed a mild form of retardation which means I can read something, go to sleep, and in the morning have completely forgotten what it is I was studying the night before.

2. I am enjoying the glamorous life of temping one day a week. Once per week, I "play" office. By the time I stop and get my Starbucks, I'm several dollars in the hole before I even get to work. Then I go to an office and work for a few hours at the rate of $10 an hour. I can't go out to lunch, because if I spend any more money after my cup of coffee I'm pretty sure I could be considered a "volunteer" for all practical purposes. I love being a temp because people act as though you are a non-person. As though you don't exist. It's fabulous. Also, I have the same conversation every week:

some random person or person(s) in the office: "I just don't see how you can work in such high heels"!

me, smiling and shrugging my shoulders: "Oh, I've just had lots of practice"!

3. I had the WORST kidney infection of my life. I was in bed, with throbbing kidneys, thinking of how I wanted to divide up my worldly possessions. I was going to have the Pastor send my Chocolate Loving Friend miscellaneous items of clothing and shoes to remember me by. And I had instructed the Pastor to bury me in the wrap dress. Not very good instructions though as the Pastor is easily confused and I have two wrap dresses and he'd probably bury me in the wrong one, and I'd be in the afterlife all ticked off at him. Once I asked him to get me an Eggnog Chai at Starbucks. Then I changed my mind and told him a Peppermint Mocha. He brought me back a Peppermint Chai. It's not a good idea to confuse the man with too many choices, he is a Scholar after all.

4. Speaking of the Pastor being a Scholar . . . he got to do a little presentation today on his dissertation. Great stuff if you are into Samuel, Saul, Judges, Abimelech, kingship, blah blah blah. Anywho, someone at the conference said about the Pastor "he has clearly MASTERED his material". So this is now the new catch-phrase when the Pastor does anything. Like tonight, when he jammed toast in the toaster, and was trying to get it out but only made smaller pieces of jammed up toast in the toaster and then made our room all smokey trying to burn it out, I told him he had clearly mastered his material. It really is funny ha-ha when someone really smart who has a degree and two masters degrees and almost a doctorate can't make toast.

I told the Pastor not to be too flattered. After all, one of the men at the conference listening to the Pastor pulled out his keys and proceeded to clean his ears with them. Smart people do not put sharp instruments in their ear canals.

5. More thoughts on dying. Mom and Dad drove us to the airport. I asked mom if she knew what to do if I died on the trip. She said no. And I replied me neither, but I'll be dead. She said she does know if someone dies overseas it's a giant hassle to get them back home. So I told her she should just leave me then, because I'd be dead and all. No purpose dragging me back home. But, she said, but but but! there would be no closure for Mr. Nathan. Ummmmm, alrighty then. I guess that settles it.

6. There's a wardrobe in our room. It is NOT the secret passage to Narnia.

OK, I'm going to try the whole sleep thing again. If anyone is reading this, their attention span is long-gone by now.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I read your blog! I was wondering what all was going on since it had been so long since you'd posted. I love your writing style. You can always make me laugh. It's refreshing to see someone connected with a church who's so...lighthearted :-).

Please keep posting for this other mom in the Lone Star State (I'm positive you're in my state, and I'm pretty sure I know which major city you live in). I'm in the Dallas area, BTW.

lunalibre

Anonymous said...

I still read...always checking back and I miss you when you are sick and almost dying in your bed with throbbing kidneys.

Just Me said...

Glad to see you're posting again!

A Girl said...

Wow!! That is so cool you are in England! Have fun.....keep us posted on your goings-on.

Lisa said...

I have the attention span of a barnyard mouse yet I read the whole thing. Your blog makes me laugh...keep it up. I can hardly wait to read your upcoming anniversary posts!!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah! You're back! You've really screwed up my whole blog reading experience by being gone for so long. Please don't do that again. Glad you're feeling better...travel safe.

Anonymous said...

if you get this, watch me on c-span on saturday morning (or you can watch the replay online). i'll be talking about food safety on "washington journal." from 9 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. saturday eastern time. !!! xo LQ

Kyndal said...

I'm out here reading your blog! I've missed your blog. It always makes me laugh!!! Have fun in England. BTW, I ran into your brother today at Wild Wings or whatever the name of that place is. Had a nice visit with him. Hadn't seen him in ages.