3.04.2006

hot cross buns

I. am. so. tired.

It is 1:45 a.m. home time, 7:45 a.m. England time. The Pastor went to sleep as soon as we got back from dinner last night. Me, I couldn't sleep. I finally fell asleep for two blissful hours during the night, at which time the Pastor woke up and decided to share the fact that he could no longer sleep with me. Now I am awake, and he is snoozing. I am just sitting here typing, VERY LOUDLY, on the keyboard.

Hmmm, let's see. The weather . . . I can talk about the weather. It's very mild and nice here. Lush and green. Friday I walked to the coffee shop and it was just lovely outside. Later in the day, when the Pastor was finished working, we walked in the park and had a "picnic". Then not very many hours later it started snowing like crazy. Big beautiful flakes. Perfect for snowmen and snowballs. But it still never really felt cold. The Pastor and I walked to dinner in the falling snow, and when we got back we packed cups full of snow, poured cola on top and had icee's.

The same people still work at the coffee shop that worked here when I came last summer. That's good, because they remember me and it makes me feel like a "regular". My home-away-from-home Starbucks.

We went to eat an an Indian restaurant yesterday.

Stuff that's different in England:
1. There's healthy food - everywhere.
2. The desserts suck. Stuff looks good, but it's ehhhh. Like last night, we had this cheese-cakey stuff, but the filling was not cheese-cakey. It was just bland and disappointing.
3. My hair. I am without a blow-dryer or a flat iron. But check this out! The night before last, the Pastor and I came back to our room at night and we were stinky and dirty and showered before bed. I thought what am I going to do with this hair. My hair is naturally wavy, and I thought it will just be a mess in the a.m. and I really don't want to get up and go through the whole wet hair ordeal again. So I put my damp hair in a bun (Mom used to do this to my hair when I was a little girl) and in the morning I had the most awesome, fab, curly hair. And it stayed curled all day. Even this morning before I washed it, it was STILL curly. Also the English climate seems to be favorable to my skin and nails.
4. The toilets are very round. American toilets are oval. British toilets are round, like my big round bum.
5. Lots of the bathrooms don't have mirrors, which you especially notice when you are vain and want to look at your awesome hair and pretty skin.
6. I don't know where people buy stuff here. Like TV's and microwaves and dishes (crockery) and STUFF. You just don't see stuff stores here.

We were going to take a train somewhere today, maybe Liverpool. I was sorta indifferent about the whole thing and was fine to just stay here in Manchester and celebrate the Sabbath by going to the park. But the Pastor was all about wanting to take a train to explore. When he got on-line and discovered it would cost about $120 for us to go where we were thinking, we decided to stay put. Especially since it is Sunday and we don't know if we go anywhere, once we get there if anything will be open.

I'm tired. I think I'll crawl back in bed with the Pastor. That no doubt means he'll decide it's time to rise and shine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robyn--I am the queen of skimming blogs, so could you answer a question? Did you move to England? Vacation? Pastor/work related? I love your blog-I wish you would post more often!

BL

Anonymous said...

Yes, post more often! Like right now! xo LQ