5.01.2008

May Day

Once upon a time, there was a boy who cried wolf. He grew up and became a weatherman.

I have lived where I live all my life. As a result, I have become completely oblivious to the tornado sirens. I no longer care. I figure if a tornado hasn't gotten me yet, I'm safe.

The last time the sirens blew, I was working on the computer and Nate was doing something else. He said "Mom, is the tornado siren going off?" I said "nah" and just kept right on working. Next day I found out it was in fact the tornado siren going off. People ran for shelter! Me, I ignored my child's fears and kept on surfing the web (I still had an internet signal!!!). We lived.

I can only think of one time in the past decade the tornado warnings have actually forced me to seek shelter. It was after the Pastor and I got married, and I wasn't sure what was worse: possible tornado, or being trapped in a basement with the children. We lived.

Tonight, I was at Nate's band concert. The tornady (yes I spelled it like that on purpose) sirens started blowin', even though the tornady was no where close to us. It did tick me off though - if the tornado would have blown through and I would have died at a band concert and that would have sucked. I don't want to go like that. At least I had on a cute outfit - navy blue pencil skirt, red pumps, red/white polka dot blouse. I didn't get really angry until I rushed home to watch "The Office" only to find out that the only thing I would be watching tonight is the weather. I'm sorry people lost their outbuildings and the roof of their mobile home, but I wanted to see "The Office."

And if the tornado would have blown through, I would have really been in trouble getting my clothes blown off. I went commando today. Mom raised me better than that. She always said to wear clean underwear in case of an accident or natural disaster.

2 comments:

Kate said...

How nerdy would your epitaph have been if it said, "Pastor's Bride, died May 1, 2008 at a band concert".

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness for NBC full episode playbacks. Otherwsie, I'd have to kick tornado butt! Sara