12.04.2005

The devil is in the details.

Things are NOT going well at the Parsonage this weekend. I won't go into detail except to say it involved a Christmas tree ornament made out of macaroni, deceit, and a great deal of drama.

My shin hurts. I'm not sure if it's from walking vigorously on the treadmill without properly warming up, a family-avoidance session at the mall in very high heels, or something I won't go into detail about which happened in the shower.

In addition to all the Christmas presents wrapped under the tree, there are birthday presents by the fireplace. I'm not sure who ever thought it was a good idea to have a baby around Christmas.

We had our first Christmas party of the season this weekend. It was at the church. Party + sugar + party games + inner city children + treat bags = chaos.

Had a little incident with younger daughter last week. The Pastor and I were at the store. We were having a birthday cake discussion. Right there in the store, I pulled the T-Mobile Sidekick out of my purse and called the younger daughter. Did she want a Strawberry Shortcake cake?
A pretty-pretty princess cake? A Hello Kitty cake? Younger daughter would NOT SPEAK TO ME. So I finally said oh, ok. Just let her know I was calling to see what kind of birthday cake she wanted!, but nevermind! and ended the call. And would you believe my phone rings like a minute later, and it's younger daughter. And NOW she has decided I am worthy of conversing with her? She was suddenly very friendly! So I just said oh I had just been calling about the cake, but nevermind, and ended the call. The next day she sees the Pastor at her school and tells him 1. I WOULDN'T TALK TO HER and 2. I HAD HUNG UP ON HER! Whatever!

I just told the Pastor when we go on our mission trip later this month, that is when I will have my period. The Pastor said I would be humped by stray dogs on the Mexican streets. So now I have that to look forward to. I didn't know that's how I would be called to serve.

7 comments:

Jane D. said...

Oh my goodness. My heart really goes out to you and the situation with the daughters. I am a single mom and hope to one day not be single again and I worry about this very thing. Not only about my children behaving badly but what if I acquire someone elses? Aye aye aye. I found a good book titled something like "How to live in Step Family without Getting Stepped on". Not that you were asking for help. : )

Anonymous said...

Extended family is difficult for everyone. As a father and a Pastor, I would simply say remember Eph. 6:4"do not exasperate your children; instead bring them up in the training and instruction of the LORD." ....Our children do not derserve to have embarrassing moments shared for all to read in a blog.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately few and far between are the step-parents who will have a whole lot of influence on their step children. The fact is that they are not the child's parent though they may care for them, provide a home for them and love them - they have very little authority - particularly at the beginning.

This anonymous forum for venting and sharing is a spectacular idea. As for sharing embarrassing moments - if a child is embarrassed by her misbehavior - then good. Perhaps she will think twice about it next time.

Anonymous said...

As the step daughter of a pastor's wife and now a pastor's wife myself...If my step mom had posted my embarrassing moments in her personal blog and I were to have found it or heard about it...I'd have kept silent...but at the age of your daughter...I would have prayed to God that YOU would be UTTERLY embarrassed soon! But I am a grown adult...and find it disturbing that a grown adult pastor's wife/step mom would even WANT to embarrass her step daughter. I pray that your relationship heals in time.

Anonymous said...

I always love hearing about the situations when your step-daughters do something you don't like and you respond in a very juvenile, manipulative way... "I was just calling to see what kind of birthday cake you wanted, but never mind."
"I was going to take you to Starbucks but never mind."
The list of great parenting examples continues......

Jane D. said...

The judgement being passed around here is amazing.

Step mom/Pastor's wife is a person with feelings. The daughter did something very rude and her response was not manipulative. It gave the daughter a very healthy dose of reality. It wasn't mean. It was a perfect teaching moment about what happens when you mistreat someone and I think the pastor's wife did the right thing.

Have you heard of the concept of boundaries? God invented them. The law of cause and effect. You reap what you sow. It is one of the most important things we can teach our children. No child should ever be rewarded for being rude.

Yes children are entitled to their feelings and should be allowed to express them but that can and should be done without hurting someone else or being unkind.

There are no names on this blog of the children, the city, the state - I see little concern for violating the anonymity of this child. If the pastor's bride has given this address out to anyone she knows then this is probably information she would have share with them anyway.

That's my two cent rant.

Anonymous said...

This is a blog people, not a seminar on how to be the perfect pastor's wife. For all of you critics, do you even know how constrictive, oppressive and lonely it can be as a pastor's wife? Thanks for the dumb sermons - as if the chick doesn't hear enough sermons as it is. snort.