10.10.2005

So you like it rough, huh? You little Jezebel!

it's the "Robyn Show", 24/7

I took a little time out for myself on Saturday. Abandoned the Pastor and the daughters and went and frivolously spent money to have my makeup done. Like a Jezebel.

Given two choices, (1) the natural look and (2) the high-drama, diva look, guess which one I picked?

A guy did my makeup. Honestly, I felt violated. He was rough with me. A little heavy-handed with the makeup brush. Open your eyes! Close your eyes! Look up! Look down! I'm not used to people barking orders at me about makeup. But remember, it really doesn't matter how it feels, it's how it looks, and I was pleased with the outcome. The last makeover I had was "bridal", and believe me, there is nothing bridal about jet-black eyeliner.

This is how I was greeted when I got home from getting painted-up:
Older daughter: "your hair is messed up!" (Uh, yes, the gay guy "joushed" it so I'd have that whole sexy, bed-head thing goin' on.)
Younger daughter: "what's for dinner? I'm hungry!"

And what did the Pastor have to say about my new Jezebel-ish look? "You look shiny."

Geez! Why don't you just tell me I look FAT AND SHINY while you are at it?

Sure younger daughter, I'd be happy to make you dinner. Let me just open this box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. Where's the knife? Oh while I've got it out LET ME JUST GO AHEAD AND STAB MYSELF IN THE HEART!

OK, change of subject.

The Pastor and I have visited a church a few times. Just a little something to do before we go do our thing at the Pastor's church. The Pastor said he likes the worship at this other church. But then he doesn't. But then he does. But then he doesn't. Then he said "it's so Schleiermacher". OK, I have NO idea what that is supposed to mean. Sadly though, it's the most I've ever seen him enjoy worship at a church. And I really like the happy little "To Be Alive!" song they sing at the end of the service.

Trying to work with the kids on being grateful. Because they aren't. Yesterday I asked the Pastor to stop at Starbucks so I could celebrate the Sabbath with a yummy caramel apple cider (still off caffeine). (Oh, and the church doesn't have a coffee bar.) The girls immediately piped up with "I want this" and "I want that". Unlike the trip to Dunkin' Donuts the other day when no one bothered to go inside with me so I said when I got back out to the car hey you don't care enough to go inside with me, then you don't get a donut, anywho... the girls came inside. I didn't tell them I was ordering them vanilla steamers, and they continued with their "I want...". The drinks came, I handed them over and not a single thank you!!! The Pastor said why didn't you say thank you? Younger daughter responded with "welllllllllllllllllllllllllll I was going to, but I tried a drink of my drink and it was hot and it burned my throat and I couldn't say it".

I'd cry, but with all this black eyeliner it would really be a mess.

4 comments:

Delia Christina said...

wow, princess, you are mean.
what gives with that?

i mean, are you a pastor's wife?
do you know what it's like being one?

cuz i do. i've seen it backstage. my mom was a preacher's wife; i was trained to be a pastor's wife (which is probably why i'm not one now). it's hard work. and if pastorsbride here wants to vent about what it's like to *give up her life* to marry a pastor and live in the middle of *nowhere* to do it, then back off.

i think you owe her an apology for being rude.

Delia Christina said...

pity is not compassion.
perceived selfishness (which is also apparent in your name) is not a reason to be rude.

there is love in this blog - her love and dedication to her husband and family are clear; she's with them, she's supportive of his ministry, she's being honest that sometimes she doesn't get it.

yay that you're a paragon of virtue who can see behind the curtain of a woman's relationship.

learn some humility.

Anonymous said...

princess n,

i think the problem you face is that most of the bride's wonderful wit and sarcasm is flying swiftly over your head. do another read and if you still don't see it, don't waste your time responding to her delightfully refreshing blog.

Anonymous said...

see the thing is her name really IS princess