6.21.2005

mesmerized by a talking goat

Nate and I had a good evening at home. I made rotini pasta, with a little lemon and cracked pepper and cream and butter and romano cheese. Oh, and garlic bread. Total yum and total carb! Then we went to get a Sno-Cone (yippee for Sno-Cones) and went to get my money's worth out of my Blockbuster Movie Pass.

We rented Racing Stripes. I wasn't really all that psyched about it, but it was better than I thought it would be. It exceeded the amazingly low expectations I had for the movie. Plus, I was mesmerized by the talking animals. Animals that talk! Their animal lips move! I asked Nathan how that could happen. He said it's all computer-animated mom! This movie cost like $20 million to make! Oh, ok. What I don't get is how come the animals have to have famous people voices. How come the horse HAS to sound like Dustin Hoffman? Does it really make the movie that much better? How come the goat has to sound like Whoopi Goldberg? Can't the talking animals have nobody voices? Can't it just be amazing enough that the animals talk - even if they only do it when no humans in the movie can see them?

I have not recovered from jet-lag. Since returning from England, I have been going to bed somewhere in the 8-9 o'clock hour. My 9 year old stays up later than me. I've just been having a hard time re-adjusting my body. Literally, if my body becomes still, I will fall asleep. Nathan will say something to me, and I will respond to his inquiry with some type of random mumbling jibberish that makes no sense and has nothing to do with the thing he was asking me about. Poor kid.

In fact, I have been so tired that it is affecting my memory. I had a cute little thing to blog about. I was talking to the Pastor on the phone and telling him about how Nate and I were going to get Sno-Cones, and he thought I said something else that was way funnier than Sno-Cones, but I can't remember what it was that he thought I said. And I am sitting her trying to blog and I cannot remember these funny anecdotes and I keep yawning!

In my jet-laggedness, I have done nothing since I've been home but sleep, work, and hang with the Nate-meister. I have managed to un-do the damage that was inflicted upon the house by small children prior to England, but I still have stuff in the family room and in the garage left to unpack. I would like to get this done 1. in this lifetime 2. before we move again.

Feeling just slightly panicky. It's official. I am quitting my job. It's very easy to trust the Pastor and know that he will take care of me. It's much less easier to trust myself. I've always HAD to work and have drawn my security from my own ability to work.

And I want you to know, I'm not going to be one of those people, if you ask me what I do, I'm not going to say something like "oh, I do the hardest job of all! I work at home!", or something corny like that. If you ask me what I do, I'm going to be completely honest and tell you absolutely nothing. Let's face it, right now, I work in an office AND I do stuff at home like laundry and cook and clean and kids and blah blah blah. So I am not going to quit my day job and try to sugar-coat the other stuff. Nuh-uh.

The Pastor will be in England for another week. Practically as soon as he gets back, we are headed to North Dakota for a family reunion (his). Then the week after that, we are headed to a youth camp in the Ozarks where the Pastor is officiating, presiding, doing his schtick, whatever. Then, after that, I plan on spending considerable time lounging by the swimming pool and in this really cool giant bean-bag chair we have. That will be my full-time job. Oh, and I'll still cook, clean, perform kid-related duties, etc.

I must admit it is a bit scary to think that I am quitting my job and then immediately driving cross-country with three small children and one Pastor and will be trapped in the confines of a vehicle. A little teeny part of me thought maybe I should tell my boss I CAN work and don't need the va-ca after all.

Filling out applications for the Pastor and I to work in Missions. The applications came with information about preparing to become a missionary, but there's nothing in there about the wardrobe you'll need or what if you need special vegetarian meals in the mission field or a pedicure or important things like that. It does say some stuff about cross-cultural experience. I have recently eaten at many culturally diverse restaurants - Indian, Nepalese... does that help?

Things I can do in my "retirement"
-learn how to make a pie
-paint my nails
-learn to cook Indian food
-finally learn how to crochet
-wash my car
-finish my wedding thank you notes
-drink my 8 glasses of water a day
-exercise
-blog
-recover from my jet-lag
-finish unpacking
-Learn Spanish. The Pastor has bought some language books and we are going to try this one. I'm not a linguist, that's for sure. I've tried to learn Spanish as an adult before, with no luck whatsoever. So all the Spanish I know is all the Spanish I learned on Sesame Street and what I've learned trying to order a no-meat, no-onion cheeseburger at McDonald's.

-Robyn...I have a good relationship with Wookies

No comments: